Sunday, March 20, 2011

Good Coffee

As a general rule I prefer my coffee to taste like coffee, not hazelnut sundae's or toffee candy bars.  Coffee.  However on some rare occasions I like to put a bit of the whipped stuff on top and then sprinkle on some nutmeg and sugar for a treat.  Yesterday was going to be one of those occasions.  See the coffee below?  This is GOOD coffee.  What I made yesterday was NOT good coffee.

Yesterday was one of the rarish occasions when I was headed to work on a Saturday, and since it was also National Quilting Day and I would not be quilting I felt the need to make my travel coffee a bit more special.  So I topped it with whipped cream and reached for the nutmeg and sugar only to realize that it was empty.  Not a problem even though I was in a bit of a hurry by then, there was some cinnamon and sugar left over from the camper.  Well, that needed to be used up since it's not been camping season for about EIGHT months.  So I sprinkled it rather liberally on top, stuck the cover on and headed off.
Partway to work I took a much anticipated sip of the WORST COFFEE IN THE WORLD!
I have to say that again because caps lock cannot truly convey the HORRIBLENESS OF THIS COFFEE!
GASP!  TOOEY!
Heavens above, do not puke in the Jeep!  What is wrong with this coffee?  Was the new can of whipped cream sour?  It must have been.  I stopped and poured the steaming cup in the ditch.
sigh.
Once home I checked the whipped cream.  What?  sweet and good like it should be.   What on earth happened?  Next I checked the camper container of cinnamon and sugar.  Ahhhhh, not only was it NOT cinnamon and sugar............. it was in fact seasoned salt................. RANCID seasoned salt.
I can assure you that rancid seasoned salt is the worst thing to put on whipped cream. 
Do not try this at home.

7 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I am wretching for you! (& I am glad that my first tea is done - I am still cold, so it may be time for tea number 2.)

SkippyMom said...

::excuse me while I giggle::

I have done this. With applesauce. My grandmother used to can unsweetened applesauce and everytime we opened a jar we added 1 cup sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

One night I didn't look what I was doing and grabbed the paprika instead.

Ask me how well that went over with my family. I am 44 - and I am still reminded of it. Sigh.

I feel your pain. And and an empathy giggle. Been there, done that. heehee

*karendianne. said...

OMG ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanne said...

ICK! ICK! ICK! I need to drink something to clear my palette. LOL

Rumi said...

Oh my, I can imagine how awful that was!

Teresa said...

that coffee looked good; what you "made" sounded good but i can only imagine how nasty that was.

i love coffee, too...

Susan Freebery said...

Now I'm laughing. That's funny. However, just because I am laughing, don't think I don't feel bad for you....