Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Something is missing here..........


Have you ever had one of those nights? Sort of like one of those days, but worse because it starts after 10pm?

Last night was one of those nights for me, it all started actually on Monday when we got back from camping and I noticed (sharp aren't I??) that I had a ton of laundry to do. Yeah, I know, how surprising is that?
Well there was our camping laundry and then there was the regular laundry that no one left at home seemed inclined to work on. (yet another big surprise) Well, I was working very diligently on the laundry, when it happened...........

Now our machine tends to get out of balance so I tried to stay downstairs in case that happened (okay and then I could be on the computer and email my blog sister and surf the blog ring) but I never heard that funky sound it makes as it walks across the floor. So I continued with my important computer work, after a half hour or so I went in the kitchen and the darn thing was out from the wall but still in the fill cycle and flowing all over! I waded through a couple inches of water to get to it to try to shut it off and shut off the water, and then I could hear the water running downstairs through the floor (yeah-through the floor) so I went out to the tractor shed - in the dark- with a flashlight - barefoot of course- over the gravel driveway - to find the shop vac.
Solution! right? Suck up the water and dump it out. so I start it up and it starts sucking up the water and then it starts spitting the water back out! YIKES, what is wrong here???? I try again, same thing! arrrrrrrr I call a friend, yes a guy of course- and ask if he feels like going on a rescue mission, oh sure what's up so I tell him my washer overflowed and I'm standing in 3 inches of water in my kitchen and the shop vac is spitting the water back out.
I'm expecting a "I'll come save you" reaction.......
He laughs.
You read that right! He laughed at me!!!!!!!!!!!
I told him in no uncertain terms to stop that right away and get his heine over here and help me out!
So, within 10 minutes or so, (meanwhile I can still hear water running through the floor into the basement), he arrives, and explains that I should have taken the filter out of the shop vac first. Well, fine! Who knew there was a stupid filter in there? and why didn't it say that on the machine in plain English where any normal person would notice?
So, filter out, the shop vac sucks, but in a good way. Gosh, I had no idea there was that much dirt and lint under my machines- can you say eeeeeeeeew?
heavy sigh~
water is off the floor~
dirt has been tracked in with coming and going and now there is mud on the floor~
BUT- I am grateful we haven't actually ripped the floor out yet in our long renovation process so it's not like I ruined it (I hope)
Next we bailed out the washing machine~
hauled rugs and clothes outside to drip on the lawn~
then waited for Jim to come home.....
Meanwhile I thought it proper to offer refreshments and entertainment (other than me on my hands and knees sans kneepads, wiping the floor, so I got him a beer and we were playing gin rummy when a slightly-grumpy-from-work-husband walked in wanting to know what the hell was going on!
Can you say "bad night at work"?
Of course it didn't help that we had planned to open a bottle of wine and finally celebrate our anniversary when he got home.
So, that was my night last night.
Now, you have figured out what is missing in the picture--- the washing machine. My sweet husband hauled it off to the repair shop today AND cleaned the floor!
Everyone do that hand motion and say YEEEEEES! So all I had to do was haul laundry to the Laundromat, and bring it home to the dryer. An added plus is that it's a brand new Laundromat with a COFFEE SHOP IN IT!!! Wooooo Hooooo!
Guess who is going to come home to a happy wife, a cold bottle of wine and something nice?
;-)

6 comments:

Susan Freebery said...

Glad to hear your washer is on its way to being repaired. However, is this going to lessen your time downstairs on the computer? You blog sister is a tiny bit concerned...

Quilter Kathy said...

OH NO! That is just a bummer - with all that laundry to do and no machine! Our dryer is on the fritz but I have been hanging out the laundry, trying to hold off repair bills until the bad weather comes again.

atet said...

Ouch -- though, when something similar happened to my washer (which lives in the basement so no water running through the floor at least) I at least got a new washing machine out of the deal! May yours be fixed quickly and painlessly.

Sweet P said...

What an awful day! I hope you enjoy the bottle and the . . .

Kim said...

You know what we say--sometimes you just have to laugh! I hope things get back to normal for you real quick!

Leigh said...

Water running through the floor is never a good thing, is it?
Hope the anniversary celebrations were "nice" though ;-))