Friday, April 27, 2007

Favorite Quilt Books





There has been so much talk on the Stashbusters digest about quilt books that I thought I would share my two all time favorite quilt books. The first is called Quilted Memories and it is sooooo inspirational. I love that there are no patterns to duplicate the quilts in this one. It's more of an idea book. I've never been good at making something exactly like a pattern. I like to go through books and pictures to get inspiration.




This Particular book inspired me to make this wallhanging for the granddaughter of some friends The dad is a fisherman through and through. I'd probably do a lot more stuff on it now that I've done a few things like this. Maybe use more embellishments. I don't know if they liked it, but I had fun making it so that to me, means it was a success!






My next favorite book is Liberated Quiltmaking by Gwen Marston. Another book that does not have patterns. Instead she has inspiration and ideas and tips to make the blocks your own. It's soooooo cool, you just cut without measuring. I made a log cabin lap quilt using these ideas. I gave it away and don't have a picture to show you, but the logs are at funny angles, and I thought about calling it "Don't drink and Quilt"


This book is no longer in print and sadly I do not have my own copy. The one in the picture is the from the local library. I check it out constantly! I have tried buying it on ebay and amazon, but the prices go up higher than my meager salary can justify. I did for one glorious fleeting moment think about checking it out and "losing" it because the replacement fee would be less than getting it second hand, but I just can't do that. Raised Catholic you know, the guilt would get to me and I would likely break out in purple spots and yellow stripes and have to redeem myself by scrubbing the library floors or scraping gum from under the tables or something equally dreary.


And these are my bookshelves. Not as many as a lot of quilters have, but every one is enjoyed! At one time I felt a wee bit guilty for having all these quilt books and not making something from each one of them. Then my very wise, favorite aunt mentioned that quilt books are like cook books, you don't have to make everything that is in them to enjoy looking at them. And yes, she is the same aunt that taught her grandchildren to say they need to use the bathroom when she spots a quilt shop. Brilliant woman! Hopefully it runs in the family!??? ;-)

7 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

"break out in purple spots and yellow stripes" Too funny! And hey, wouldn't that make an interesting quilt? ;)

And don't worry about your book collection, mine is even smaller! I'm much more inspired by photos on the web (which I save a lot) than any book pattern. And that's why I have over 200 blogs on my bloglist... all the pictures and inspiration! :)

Quilter Kathy said...

You made me laugh out loud!
Watch out for those purple spots and yellow stripes! Yes...I agree with Leah...sounds like an interesting quilt...pick a design idea from the stolen liberated quilts book!! Too funny!

Pam said...

I have the Quilted Memories book - it is wonderful and inspirational. Mary Lou Weidman was supposed to do a workshop at my guild's fall seminar and I was all signed up to take it - but not enough people were registered so it was cancelled. I was very disappointed. I still want to make one of her quilts.

Susan Freebery said...

Now, those are some seriously neat book shelves. Before you come over for ice tea, I'm gonna have to do some "tidying up". Love the wall hanging, it's a keeper too!

Clare said...

How long have you had Liberated Quiltmaking? I have been trying to find a reasonably priced copy for ages but I refuse to pay about £60 odd for a book! Tonya says it is going to be republished.

Clare said...

You must think me nuts! I've just read your post again and see that it is a library copy that you borrow from time to time and, yes, I agree, the amount of money being asked for copies is bordering on the ridiculous.

As I said, Tonya has discovered that it is being republished. Can't remember who by but if you plug it into Amazon you are bound to get an answer.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Liberated Quiltmaking is the best book ever - sorry to hear you don't have a copy of your own. And it turns out that it's not being republished after all, darn the luck.