Sunday, April 29, 2007

Slowly Spring


Spring seem to be coming sooooo slooooooooowly to our house! Houses in town have daffodils and tulips blooming already. Today was gorgeous out, shorts weather! I spent the morning cleaning out flower beds and trimming. Checked on my tulips, they were thinking about popping up. Checked on my Lily of the Valley, too shy. Checked on my daffodils, starting to bud out. Finally! I spotted our FIRST flower! woo hoo! See that teeny tiny little grape hyacinth? Note the Maple seed next to it for size comparison! Oh well, a little bit of spring is better than more snow!
However, on the other side of the house, this dandelion was doing really well. No, I didn't pull it up, I think they are kind of pretty. What is the first flower most little ones bring mom? Dandelions. What can pop up through sidewalks? Dandelions! What has the neatest seed head that you can blow away? Dandelions! And did anyone else grow up playing the "do you like butter?" game with them? Or is that a Wisconsin thing?
Aside from all these wonderful attributes, our yard is made up entirely of old pasture land, so we really LIKE dandelions! They are so nice and soft under bare feet! Thank goodness we don't live in town, the neighbors would probably picket us!

6 comments:

Gina said...

All my flowers are flying up. we had a very wet winter in the UK and the sun is very welcome now. Spending more time in the garden than i am in my sewing room

love and hugs gina xxxx

swooze said...

Nice pics. I meant to take a picture of my oak tree out front. Remind me later if you don't see it on my blog this week would ya!

Carole said...

Myself, I don't understand the need to kill the dandelions! They are a flower of love! I just make sure my daughter blows the seed head on the other neighbor's lawn! LOL Just kidding! Enjoy spring!

Jeanne said...

I like your first flower the best! I noticed my grape hyacinths today, too. How does the dandelion game go?

Susan said...

I love dandelions! I always have. We have bunches in our SD place. Paul mows and they make new flowers. He mows and they make new flowers. I always thought it was mean to call them a weed. They are wildflowers, they don't make nasty stickers. They are just fun. Butter -dusting on the nose?

Quilter Kathy said...

We have the same "lack of spring" situation here. No tulips yet, but the daffodils are finally out!