Monday, April 2, 2007

My Shelves are not bare!




I added this picture of my shelf quilt to the stashbusters site. I think this top is the most fun I have had lately! I collected fabric for my jars for years. At first it was just food, then I found some marbles, then some shells, office supplies, even cigars! I plan to sew colored buttons in one of the light blue jars, and white mother of pearl buttons in the other jar. The fabrics had been sitting in my drawer waiting for the time I would finally make this. This winter I decided to just do it! I made sure that I didn't sew the blocks together evenly because I wanted them to be sitting on the shelf just like they would be in real life. I thought about doing a realistic colored cat to sit on the bottom shelf, but then my husband gave me a blue flowered china cat, so I duplicated that instead. I also plan to stitch some silk ribbon flowers into the basket. of course, that means I need to get some silk ribbon, and then really pay attention to how those flowers are made. Well, it's not a UFO, but it's not going to be something I finish this month either.
I didn't crop this picture too much, because I always joke with my husband that someday I'm going to write a book called "All My Quilts have Feet" because every time we take pictures of my quilts there are someones feet sticking out the bottom. That train of thought leads me to a WHIMM that I want to do someday involving shoe blocks for a couple of my daughters who are shoe shoppers. Not something they got from me! I'd rather quilt than shop! Unless it's for fabric...........

4 comments:

Kim said...

Neat quilt! And I'm with you on the shopping. I told a friend that I don't really shop, and she said, "yes, you do--you shop for fabric"! Well, in my book, that's not SHOPPING--that's planning for retirement! LOL! I love your feet idea too--it's always funny to see a quilt with feet or just the top of a head!

swooze said...

Great quilt. I love how you added other objects to break it up a bit! Makes me want to make one now.

Jeanne said...

Wonderful quilt! And put me down for a copy of your book when it comes out.

Leigh said...

You could then write a sequel to your first book titled "My quilts have fingers too" :-)