Thursday, April 5, 2007

National registry

This morning as I was surfing some blogs, I read with great interest Kim's blog about the National Registry of those who should not be given quilts.
Goodness did that ring some bells! I swear our mothers may have been separated at birth!
Now history on my mother, I do love her. She was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease about 5 years ago. She is not in the late stages, and can move around and generally take care of herself. Almost 3 years ago, she and my father moved to the veterans home in King, WI. This is truly a lovely place with very caring people. Still she was very resentful to be there, and not in her own home. So a year and a half ago I worked on a quilt for her, she had been a Master Gardener before she retired, so I collected a ton of flower prints and did a lattice type quilt with all of them. I was really pleased with it in the end. My favorite cousin did some beautiful floral quilting on it and I brought it to my mother. She didn't want to open it, then she didn't even touch it. She just said it would be too heavy and to take it away. I can't even begin to describe how that felt.
Fast forward to a month or so later. For some reason I showed it to my youngest sister in law, and she got that "quilt look" in her eyes. You know what I mean! She said, "Oh Mary that reminds me of Laddie Grandma". (the grandma on my husbands side) Needless to say, she got the quilt! And, she showed it to everyone in the family telling them, "isn't this just like Laddie Grandma?" I will try to get a picture of it to post here later. Another needless to say, when that same sister in law got married this winter, I had no problem working on a quilt for her and her new husband! More on that in a future post!

8 comments:

Kim said...

I'm sorry your mom didn't appreciate the quilt you made for her after you put so much thought and time into it. In making quilts specially for someone, half of the pleasure is the feeling we get from doing something we think is really special and the anticipation of someone's joy in receiving it. I'm very happy to know, though, that your quilt found a loving home and someone for whom it had such deep meaning. Thanks for sharing your story!

Paula, the quilter said...

Wow. When I read that, my heart just twinged. What a sad thing to happen but it is nice to know that the quilt will be appreciated.

Jeanne said...

Ouch! That had to hurt bunches. I'm happy to hear that you were able to find a good home for your quilt where it is loved and admired.

swooze said...

Yes when I was still a new quilter I made a baby quilt for a lady that I adored. When she opened it she looked at it and said oh, he can use it as his "suck" blanket. I think she meant to drag around in his mouth. I didn't see it as a compliment and really rethought the whole gifting idea.

Then there is my childhood friend. She adored the quilt I made her for her first born. She appreciated it so much and asked for one for her second child. She then got one for the third as well. She knows what effort these take. I hesitantly asked if there would be a 4th! LOL. She said....maybe...

Leigh said...

You are so right some people should definitely not get quilts.
I can relate to you about your mum. I had a step mum from the age of 10 anything you gave her she was rude about or wouldn't accept. We all learnt to only buy things we liked ourselves because sooner or later she would give them back and we'd end up with them anyway.
Needless to say I never made her a quilt.

Darlene said...

Oh, my heart hurts for you! Knowing that someone else is enjoying your hard work should heal your hurt just a little.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry to hear your Mom didn't want the quilt but it's better that someone who will appreciate it gets to have it. I don't give away many quilts for that same reason.

swooze said...

OK where did you read about the "registry". I want to read it now too!