Friday, April 13, 2007

First quilt


The picture here is my very first quilt. This is NOT something I am overly proud of. :-) I made this before I knew anything at all about quilting. My mother in law loves patchwork, and since I could sew I thought it would be nice to surprise her with a quilt for their anniversary. I cut squares from everything I had laying around. Crib sheets, sewing projects, curtains. Okay if you are picturing the sheets and curtains with little squares cut out, you are not far off! Once I got the top together, (no chain piecing mind you, I had no idea that was an option), my husband and I went to the local fabric store to get a quilt batt. I picked the puffiest polyester batt they had, then because I thought it should be softer, we got TWO of them and doubled it! (Cringe) Then, since the only quilts I knew about growing up were tied, I sewed it together and did the envelope thing and proceeded to tie it with YARN! Live and learn, that's all I can say! It was sooooooo big and puffy we had to put it in an appliance box to give it to them! Then I went back to regular and garment sewing for years. In a previous blog I describe the lovely ladies who started me on actual piecing and quilting. This quilt is still on my mother in laws spare bed, because for obvious reasons it's waaaaaaay too warm for her to actually sleep under. But she STILL thinks it's great! She points out the fabrics and tells the grandchildren where they are all from. I just hope no one who quilts ever sleeps over!
But, it's good to look back at that one and see how far I have come!

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Some days I think it was the most fun when we didn't know anything. No rules to break and nothing done wrong. I think your first quilt looks great on the bed.

atet said...

Umm...why does this story sound familiar? I mean, I didn't use TWO polyester batts -- but I may have a little lap quilt much like this one at the end of my bed...

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a great memory quilt. And what I think is so wonderful is how much your mother-in-law has enjoyed it. What a lovely M.I.L. you have!

Wendy said...

Wonderful memory quilt for your MIL to share where the fabrics came from. I wish I saved fabric from all the dresses I made my kids. I did the double batting as well. We knew nothing!

swooze said...

Hey! We all have to start somewhere. You saw my story! When we stop learning it will be dull. I learn something new all the time!